Saturday 28 January 2017

Regatta Quilt - revisited

I have never intended to make a quilt twice.
But in order to write the Regatta Quilt pattern I knew I needed to make another one.


I actually had a lot of fun making this quilt again, since the first Regatta Quilt happened kind of accidentally.
This time I made it properly from start to finish following my own pattern.

I opted for Oakshott jelly rolls again, this time in an autumn colour palette, which I absolutely love!


Despite the non- water colours I opted for the same wavy line quilting as the original Regatta Quilt.
I'm very happy how it turned out, 2.5 years practice make big difference in the quilting!


Again I used the left over strips for the back, but this time I turned them vertical and added white and two colours oakshott for an interesting design.


I was actually surprised how well the horizontal wavy quilting lines go with the vertical strips of the back!


I also opted for the white binding since it makes the colours really stand out.

 
That applies for the back as well. 


We took the photos at the recently finished 'Anneliese Brost Musik Forum Ruhr' in my home town, which has a beautiful brick facade and is a very well designed building next to an old church, which is now the entrance into the Forum.
We walked around the whole building complex and took some more photos in the winter sun.


The original Regatta Quilt I quilted with a blue-white variegated Aurifil thread. This time I opted for just plain white and it worked so well with all the different colours. Usually I quilt with 40wt Aurifil thread, but this time I used the 50wt Aurifil thread and achieved a very subtle texture.


I will give this quilt to my Dad, he loves autumn and he recently said to me that he would love to have a quilt. There is nothing better than giving a quilt to a beloved person who really appreciates all the effort that goes into making a quilt. In return I love to give comfort and warmth provided by a beautifully hand made quilt.

The free Regatta Quilt pattern is available on my blog here.

Linking this to Finish Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Let's Bee Social
Modern Patch Monday at the Modern Cologne Quilters

12 comments:

  1. It turned out beautiful and I really like your photos of it. And yay for a quilt for dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sieht super aus, auch schöne Fotos mit dem Gebäude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely quilt. I love how the windows at the top of the building mirror the lines on the back of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very simple, but so elegant. The colors are perfect. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Dad! The quilt (pictures) and the backing design turned out great again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Daniela,
    dieser Regatta-Quilt ist ja wirklich der Hammer, so wunderbare softe und trotzdem intensive Farben, da passt einfach alles. Dein Quilting gefällt mir ebenfalls sehr, ich bekomme so ein Muster einfach nicht hin, ohne dass sich am Ende alles verzeiht, also Hut ab!!! Die Location für die Fotos passt perfekt zum Quilt, ist fast so, als hättest du beim Nähen diesen besonderen Ort vor Augen gehabt! Danke auch für die tolle Anleitung,da bin ich ja fast versucht ;-) Liebe Grüße von Martina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ein elegantes Quiltmuster, dass man sehr schön variieren kann. Ich glaube, ich werde mich daran auch mal absehbar versuchen. Die Anleitung ist übrigens sehr gut und ausführlich beschrieben, einfach perfekt!
    Liebe Grüße, Christiane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Daniela,
    Thank you for pointing me in the direction of your second Regatta quilt. I'll share this link to our sew alongers right before the SAL starts on January 1. I'm so glad you are happy we're using your pattern! We all love and admire the quilt, and it will be fun to see all the different variations the quilters come up with. I hope you pop in and check on us now and then! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well it’s 2021 and this pattern hasn’t dated one bit, never knew Oakshott made Jelly rolls. We met the Oakshotts at festival of Quilts His mother is such a lovely lady we could have chatted all day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it’s 2021 and this pattern hasn’t dated one bit, never knew Oakshott made Jelly rolls. We met the Oakshotts at festival of Quilts His mother is such a lovely lady we could have chatted all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I think my local quilt shop is making these jelly rolls themselves.

      Delete