Wednesday 30 December 2015

My finishes in 2015

So here is my little summary of projects from 2015.

I was able to finish 3 quilts, 3 pillows (one whole cloth pillow is not shown below) and a few smaller sewing projects. At first this 'outcome' seemed very disappointing to me. I have so many ideas and projects I want to make but I simply don't have the time. Considering I work full time, I do enjoy spending time with my husband, friends and family and I do a lot of sports this is all I can do. And I have come to terms with that. I admire other quilters who have several full days per week where all they do is sewing... I'm dreaming about that alright, but sewing, quilting and blogging about it is just my hobby. I have to be realistic with my goals otherwise I am disappointed by my own non-progress and that's not good. I have figured out that I'm able to make 3 to 4 quilts a year, and that's ok. I want to make good quilts. Quality is better than quantity, right? 


And looking back to what I have worked on in 2015 made me realise that I don't particularly like working on commissioned quilts.... the one I made felt like a job that needed to be done, because that's what is was. The sewing time for myself is so limited that I've made the decision to not make another commissioned quilt in a long time. I felt exhausted after I finished that quilt and I didn't do much sewing afterwards. Small sewing projects brought me back on track though.
I loved making the pillow covers, they are quick to make and a great way to try out new blocks or a new quilting style and for using up scraps.

Now to the finished quilts from 2015:
Most viewed is my 'Head over heels' quilt, which I linked up with the Bloggers Quilt Festival in May. 
I really like the dark sashing in the quilt as the colours and log cabin blocks do really stand out.This was also my first commissioned quilt.


I'm most proud of my 'Plus One' quilt which I finished in February. This is also the second most viewed blog post on my blog. I so do love the fresh colours and the crumply touch of the straight line quilting.


The free motion quilting really made my October quilt very special and I'm super happy how my quilting has improved.This is the blog post with the most comments.


And I am also very happy about my quilting bee, which I started this year. It will be my turn in January/ February and I'm all excited about it!


I have also joined Pinterest, a happy place but also a time trap which I'm aware of and use it carefully.

I'm linking this to Cheryl from Meadow Mist Designs, she's holding a link up party with all finishes of 2015, go check it out!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! It was hard to choose a favorite, but I really love the autumn leaves quilt. Just gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurel! I think my favourite is the Plus One!

      Delete
  2. You really need to be a little more gracious to yourself... three quilts in a year plus full time work and full time life is really not bad at all! The lovely pluses quilt is my favorite!

    I tend to avoid custom work like the plague because it sucks out the natural inspiration that comes when a project is completely yours from start to finish.

    Looking forward to seeing your block this next month!

    Wishing you a good slide into 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! Yeah, I know, I tend to be overly critical with myself... And you're right about the 'sucking out the natural inspiration' for customised quilts!

      Delete
  3. The quality of your sense of color and pattern plus your workmanship shine in every one of your finishes! You amaze and inspire me...do all you can enjoy! Happy New Year Daniella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! I'm always happy about your encouraging comments! Happy New Year to you,too!

      Delete
  4. The quality of your sense of color and pattern plus your workmanship shine in every one of your finishes! You amaze and inspire me...do all you can enjoy! Happy New Year Daniella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with the rest of comments. You did great work and finished a lot of projects. But I can relate. I don't sew as much as many bloggers, I am inconsistend in blogging and I am annoyed about it. But a full time job and living your life do take time. So let's practice together to be happy with our results :)

    Looking forward to your bee block! Happy new year and a lot of blessings for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! We probably wouldn't enjoy our sewing and blogging time as much as we do if we could do it every day, so that's a good thing then! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  6. You made some wonderful quilts this year! I definitely am for quality over quantity! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, for this wonderful link up!

      Delete
  7. I fully understand that it's difficult to combine full time job, family time and quilting, but you did a great job. 3 fantastic quilts is an achievement, keep that in mind. Looking forward to see your projects in 2016.

    ReplyDelete