Tuesday 1 May 2018

Three

I have finally found the time to share the mini quilt I made for the 2018 MQG Mini Swap. I was very excited about the swap and signed up to exchange the mini quilts at QuiltCon in Pasadena.
As I received the email with my swap partner I thought: Wow, Anne Sullivan of PlayCrafts is making me a mini quilt!!! And then immediately after that I thought: Oh F#@$%& I have to make her one too!
Anne is such an amazing quilter that the pressure to make her something awesome was big.

After three attempts I made this mini quilt which I called 'Three' giving the circumstances...


I improv pieced strips together and grouped them from light to dark. I like the little craziness in it, so much to look at. The binding is multi coloured as well and plays with the colour arrangement of the actual quilt.


I picked two different shades of violet and paired it with a Friedlander cross hatch fabric in the same colour family. I started with white and light turquoise in one corner and worked my way up to the darker top of the quilt. 'Three' is 24x24" small.


The top also has some orange colour splashes to add a little interest. I used 5 different coloured threads, all Aurifil 50wt, and quilted diagonal straight lines similar to the way I quilted Splinter.


For the back I used remaining fabrics and just pieced a crazy log cabin block. I'm very happy how this mini quilt turned out and I'm so glad that Anne liked it too!


And that's us exchanging our quilts at QuiltCon. I absolutely love the mini Anne made me and isn't it amazing how well our quilts look together? We even made the MQG February news letter!

I'll definitely take part in next years mini swap. Not sure if I will go to QuiltCon though but the minis can still be send via post (although it's so great to see the recipient's face while you exchange quilts and it's always so good to meet other quilters in person).

And I also think I'm going to revisit this design, I'd like to play with it a bit more at a larger scale!

Linking this to SewFreshQuilts and Let's bee social
and Finish Up Friday at CrazyMomQuilts 

4 comments:

  1. You could be sister quilters— the color palette is amazing and I know Anne loved it. You both look so happy in this photo. That’s true emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your three quilt reminds of summer days on a patio somewhere. Because it looks like you have a glass of something cold to drink with a straw. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Daniela. I heart your quilt so much!! Seriously, it's so unique and interesting. I really like the quilt Anne made for you too - what a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might have been intimidated at first but the result is inspiring. Love your knack for improvisational piecing!

    ReplyDelete