Monday 19 September 2016

halo27q

I'm very happy to present my husband's quilt: halo27q


This is my third entry into the Bloggers Quilt Festival and this couldn't come at a better time. I started this quilt last August 2015 as a birthday present for my husband and this year in September it's finished. You can find the process of fabric choice and block making here.

The quilt is all about one of my husband's favourite bands Nine Inch Nails and the graphics taken from their 7th studio Album 'The Slip' (aka halo 27) released July 2008.
I cannot take credit for the design, I just made a quilt out of it. The graphics were designed by Rob Sheridan, the Creative Director for Nine Inch Nails.

Each song of the album has an own graphic. Here are the quilt blocks, each of them 20 x 20'' and each quilted differently:

TRACK 06     I     HEAD DOWN
Head Down stretches over three blocks of 20x20'', there are similar, long graphics in line with NIN's merchandise and it fits the quilt design quite nicely that way. 

TRACK 03     I     LETTING YOU
Some of the original graphics have red lines and I just quilted them in the same rough way.

TRACK 09     I     THE FOUR OF US ARE DYING
I created my own paper piecing template for this block. I left this block for last because I thought this is the most complicated one and I'm quite new to paper piecing, but looking back it would have been so much easier and more precise to paper piece all the blocks. With those crass colour differences every little seam, which is only off by a bit, is very visible...

TRACK 10     I     DEMON SEED
The quilting is a big mix of free motion and  using my walking foot. The rough quilting is intentionally done. It was suppose to be not 'nice'. NIN's music is everything, but nice. It's rough, hard, emotional and sometimes even brutal. That's what I was trying to achieve with the quilting as well.  

TRACK 04     I     DISCIPLINE
For the binding I continued the design of the back of the quilt. So from looking at the front of the quilt you can guess that there is something on the back.


The back of the quilt is the interpretation of the design of the CD cover. I used cross hatch fabrics for both the light and darker areas. The binding intentionally is almost not visible.

TRACK 05     I     ECHOPLEX

That's my first time doing spiral quilting. I don't know if that was a good thing, but this was the very first block I quilted and because I cannot adjust my pressure foot pressure the whole quilt sandwich shifted and I needed to re-baste the entire quilt. Yep. That's why halfway through the quilting process I called it 'my never ending quilt' and here are my thoughts on it. Thanks again for the very encouraging comments!

TRACK 02     I     1,000,000
Because the quilting is quite dense some puckering happened, my thread broke loads of times and for this block alone I needed a whole afternoon.  Many, many threads needed to be buried and it just took forever...

TRACK 01     I     999,999

I used light and dense quilting to create a contracts between blocks as every song is different, too.


That block was fun! I just made a black box but I didn't want to have the iconic 'NIN' in black so I created the three letters with dense quilting lines. I learned that in Jacqui Gering's Craftsy Class 'Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot'.


And lastly I used another iconic graphic of the band: the reversed 'N'. Looks so cool.
This block took about two days to quilt. I learned a lot about my sewing machine with this quilt. As I said, the pressure foot pressure cannot be adjusted so hefty puckering appeared while I was doing the first three parallel lines. So I ended up starting and stopping in the centre of the block with endless threads to bury...


But I couldn't be happier with this quilt. The different quilting gives the quilt a great texture and despite the simple blocks there is so much so see.


Even the back by it's own could be a quilt and you can tell every 'song' by it's cover.
I didn't use all the graphics, some were 'unsewable' at least with my abilities.

As for most of my quilts my husband came up with the name. Every NIN album has also 'halo' number.
The Slip is halo 27, so the name 'halo27q' was quickly found.


My husband had to put up with a lot of cursing and frustration from my side during the quilt making process. I was listening to all of the NIN albums while making the quilt, mostly to The Slip (just to get me in the right mood) and boy, I was as angry as Trent Reznor sometimes....
But most importantly my husband loves his quilt and I see us already sitting on the couch, me wrapped up in lovely, happy colours, he in dark looking all cool and cozy.


I'm linking this post to the Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy Ellis. Go and check out all the other beautiful quilt and don't forget to vote! Thanks!

25 comments:

  1. Pretty ingenious and very striking! Your hubby must be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! And I'm too! Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Hello Daniela,
    This quilt is just amazing and a really cool quilt. I love it. I should show it to my son... Now I would love to see your quilt in the lovely, happy colors.
    Viele Grüße
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martina! Every other quilt in our house is made from happy, lovely colours :0)

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I know your husband love it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely cool quilt! It drew me right in from the BQF linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Felicity! That means a lot to me!

      Delete
  5. Hello Daniela,
    What a great work, your story, your idea, your graphics and of course your sewing and quiltin. It represents for me all those wonderful aspects af a quilt, given to a beloved person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I don't think I would have made this quilt for anyone else than my husband! It feels so great to have it finished!

      Delete
  6. Amazing is an understatement! Love how personal this quilt is and your photoshoot and that your husband named it! ;-) Plus your quilting just put it over the top - SO worth all your frustration over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Debbie, that coming from you means a lot to me! I thank you for your encouraging words throughout the quilt making process and also now,that it's finished! It definitely was worth it!

      Delete
  7. That is a really special quilt and you can be very proud of the finish. Your creativity is amazing and how much work you put into it - really all your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweat, tears, blood, heart & soul. Yep, that all went in it!

      Delete
  8. Oh Daniela! how exciting to see this one in all it's finished glory! You hit it out of the park, again! I love the photo shoot as well...you find the most interesting places....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! It feels good to finally show the whole quilt, I know I was only teasing you with little snippets!

      Delete
  9. Liebe Daniela!
    Ein HAMMERTEIL!...ganz passend zu Deinem und dem Beruf Deines Mannes! Super toll!
    Liebe Grüße
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eine großartige Idee, ein wunderschöner Quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a very creative quilt! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eine ungewöhnlicher Quilt eigenwillig und modern
    Genial
    Karo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous quilt! I love the back as well.
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wie toll! Jeder Bereich hat seine eigene Geschichte. Das ist wirklich großartig und toll umgesetzt. Übrigens: Die Kulisse für Deinen Quilt ist sehr passend gewählt. Den musst Du beim nächsten Show and Tell unbedingt mal herzeigen. Vielleicht gibt Dein Mann den dafür ja raus.

    LG Mareike

    ReplyDelete