Friday 2 September 2016

Finally a finished quilt - Sea Breeze

It is the beginning of September and I have my first quilt finished this year. Finally. I'm so relieved!
I started this quilt two years ago, TWO years! The reason why this took so long is that I quilted this quilt twice. The first time I didn't like it, so I ripped it all out again.

But now that it's finished I really love this quilt!


My husband and I went on a bike ride to our local lake and took some photos in bright sunshine and a lovely breeze. For most of you the fabric line 'salt air' by Cosmo Cricket for Moda might be 'cold coffee' (as we Germans say) but I so love this fabric line!
For the back I used Carolyn Friedlander's cross hatch in red, and it's the widescreen fabric. This non-pieced quilt back almost felt like quilting for the lazy, but that's ok. It doesn't always have to be a fancy quilt back.

I went the safe route and quilted my favourite loopy loops, no experiments here! I didn't want to rip out quilt stitches again! I quilted it on a long arm in Dorthes's lovely shop lalala patchwork. It was the first time I quilted on a longarm and I really loved it! The stitches (thanks to the Bernina stitch regulator) are so even, I'm very pleased how this turned out!
Here's a link to a video of the quilting process! I was so excited that I forgot to take pictures.


I love the stripy binding! I found this great tutorial and that worked very well for me.

I always pictured Sea Breeze to be a summer quilt. Firstly because of the fresh summery fabrics but also because of the size. It's only 1.75 x 1.75m (63 x 63'') and since I always have a quilt on my couch this is perfect for summer evenings where just a little gorgeous quilt gives crinkly comfort.
The summer here in Germany wasn't the best but we have some beautiful summer days since two weeks, so no complaints!

The free PDF pattern is called 'summer in the park' and can be found here.

Linking this to Finish up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
TGIFF!
My Quilt Infatuation

14 comments:

  1. Wow, what determination. I think might not have had the strength to quilt it twice. I have these prints too but no project presented itself yet =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! How happy you must be with this wonderful finish!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing to me that you would rip it all out to try again. I guess I'm too lazy, or have too many other projects waiting. I would have just donated it or given it away to the first person who said they liked it! It looks wonderful and I love the stripe binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow it's gorgeous - and full credit to you for quilting it twice!! It looks like the perfect quilt for lying on and looking at the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I'm sorry had to quilt it twice but the result is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful finish! Yikes about ripping all the quilting out, but as long as you're happy now it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Enjoy your finish - well deserved after all those ripping sessions :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What a pretty quilt, and a beautiful location for the photo shoot! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a beautiful finish! Love everything about this quilt. Great job with the quilting! So glad you linked up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is beautiful Daniella! So excited and happy for you to have this one done, to enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually really like this fabric line. I made a quilt with this line once too. Your pattern suits it well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have more patience than me, ripping out all the quilting! It looks awesome and I love Salt Air too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Manchmal dauern die Quilts einfach länger. Bei mir liegen manche noch länger. Aber inzwischen mache ich mir damit keinen Stress mehr.
    Das Ergebnis spricht für die lange Zeit. Der Quilt ist super geworden.
    Viele Grüße
    Martina

    ReplyDelete