Tuesday 24 November 2015

Christmas mug rug swap

After my Christmas mug rug inspiration mosaic I was looking at how my own mug rug was supposed to look for my partner. She wanted something a bit extraordinary and non traditional so I thought this lovely fabric selection was the right choice for her:


Unfortunately I cannot name the designer or the manufacturer as I only bought 8 inches of each fabric and none of them had something written on the selvages. The cross hatch fabric is by Carolyn Friedlander.


So I went ahead and did a super simple mini Christmas tree which I've seen on 'Sew me something good', I just loved the simplicity of it and had to copy it. My squares are 1.5 inches big (unfinished).


I did irregular straight line quilting in three different colours, green, pink and grey. The mug rug is approx. 9 x 10 inches, big enough for a big mug and some cookies.

I have used this super tutorial on 'how to bind tiny things' by Crazy Mom Quilts (which actually is shown on a similar mini Christmas tree block).

This swap is in line with the German Flickr group 'Swappen auf Deutsch' which you can find here.You can also see what everyone else did.
I am very curious which of the really nice mug rugs up there is for me. I'll keep you posted.
I hope my partner likes what I made for her!!!

Linking this to Crazy Mom Quilts finish up black Friday :0)

13 comments:

  1. Love it .... beautiful fabric choice. Thank for linking to the binding tutorial for minis - just mentioned on my post today that I wasn't happy with my mini binding and that I might need to practice ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great tutorial indeed. I often find that mug rugs have a very bulky binding, a binding you normally attach to quilts. The reduced size of that binding is making it look so much better!

      Delete
  2. Oh what pretty colours, I love that they're Festive without going overboard on the festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I though too! Very often those Christmas fabrics are just too much for me!

      Delete
  3. These are great fabrics, I love the pinks and greens for Christmas. Great mini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Those fabrics are just perfect and I bet your partner will be delighted to receive such a sweet mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Christmas finish that isn't overly traditional. Love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete