Friday 5 February 2021

Olive 'n Orange

I've always wanted to make a quilt with olive green and orange. I don't really have a favourite colour I always use in my quilts. But I do have favourite colour combinations and that might be a new love affair. 


I started by piecing small blocks together using my solid scraps and mixed different shades of olive green with oranges, white and light grey. I always try to balance a design with a variance of value and texture. 


I was aiming for a mini quilt with an approximate size of 25" square. I made several small improv blocks, some in a log cabin style, others kind of free style. 


I piece blocks together as I go when they are a good fit. Sometimes this is in rows, mostly I piece in sections so that the design appears intuitive and not following a grid.

This is actually my favourite part of designing a quilt. Piecing blocks and see how they fir together. 


I'm very pleased with the overall design and the colour and value play. 
I quilted straight lines in light grey 40wt Aurifil thread, 1/4" apart. I wanted the quilting to take a step back and not be prominent over the actual design. 


The thread did exactly that. 

Once again I faced the quilt following Audrey's tutorial. I love how very square the edges are. 


I followed other tutorials in the past and the edges were always quite round. I really prefer this crisp look and can highly recommend this tutorial! 


This was a very enjoyable little project. I give you another close look at the texture: 


It's only the dark green that is a shot cotton. I like to keep it simple and not have too many focal points. 


Olive 'n Orange is definitely a new favourite! 

1 comment:

  1. Another great improv quilt. Olive green would follow directly after brown in my "dislike" color pile - but your quilt makes it look modern and even fresh with the orange and white in it.

    ReplyDelete