Sunday 5 January 2020

The Blue One & The Green One

I've always had a thing for log cabin blocks. The third quilt I ever made was a log cabin quilt and since then I've grown very fond of this versatile block.

For my exhibition in September I wanted to make two mini quilts that complemented each other. What is better than two minimalistic log cabin quilts?


Both quilts are a modern interpretation of the classic, traditional log cabin block where a red square in the centre was the starting point and dark and light fabrics formed a diagonal line in the overall block.


I made The Blue One first. I have new favourite blues and used five shades of it. The orange in the centre complements the design so nicely. I match- stick quilted with light blue thread, I wasn't sure whether that would work on the white and beige fabric but I really like it.


The strips are all cut without measuring leaving them in different widths and slightly wonky, I love the uneven zig-zag that this is creating.


I liked the blue version so much that I made the The Green One right after. This time with a pink centre as an elongated rectangle in the centre. 


Again I used light green quilting thread and it worked well on the white and grey fabrics.

They are now hanging behind my desk, so every time I have a Zoom meeting or a Skype call these two provide a nice backdrop and I love it! They're both approx. 24 x 26" (61 x 66cm).


The exhibition was a success and many liked the lovely pair. My Mom loved The Blue One especially since she has a blue couch, and oh, this would make a great pillow.


So I made my Mom a pillow for Christmas and she was over the moon. It's 24" square (60 x 60cm) and fluffy and suits the blue couch perfectly.

There will be more of these blue tones, espcially with the Pantone colour of the year being Classic Blue! So stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful log cabins - they're one of my faves too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and great gifted, quilty pillow! xo

    ReplyDelete