Monday 31 July 2017

Quarter Log Cabin Pillow

I love to make quilty things for loved ones.
So when my brother asked me if I could make him a pillow I didn't need to think twice what I would give him for his birthday.


I had a colour scheme in mind very quickly. Black and white and one of my favourite Kona Solids 'Spring'.


This pillow really shows off my love for graphic fabrics. I selected very subtle, almost low volume  ones and also fabric with stark contrasts.


I mixed the very graphic, manly fabrics with the lovely prints by Lotta Jansdotter from her fabric line 'Sylvia' and I think that and the use of some solids balances the pillow quite nicely.


I used this tutorial by Debbie of 'A Quilter's Table' to make four blocks, each finishing 13.5 x 13.5". The size of the pillow is 26 x 26" (65 x 65cm).


I quilted straight lines which echo in from the center of each block. It was the first time that I quilted with my new Juki. I was very pleased with the overall result, no more puckering issues like I had before with my other machine. Some not so nice things happened though: the stitch lengths varied for some reason and also the machine skipped some stitches... hm, I will investigate why that happened. I obviously need to try things out to have good results.


I used this beautiful variegated b/w Aurifil thread in 40wt, a perfect match for all the black and white fabrics.


I gave it to my brother yesterday and he loved it. And that makes me very happy.

5 comments:

  1. It's a very lovely pillow Daniela. I love those graphic prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it's beautiful! I bet it was really fun to make too. Thanks for the shout-out btw! I think that's my favorite block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great finish and I love your fabric choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pillow. I hope it gets used and cuddled a lot. Sometimes I had missed stiches too. Nowadays I clean my machine before quilting and reduce my speed - it appears to have helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your color choice. The cool tones really made a masculine pillow out of it. I am not such a wonky lover but it really fits in here.

    LG Mareike

    ReplyDelete