Monday 12 October 2015

I have started a quilting bee!

I am super excited to let you know that I have started a quilting bee!
I was looking for modern quilters in Germany who are not involved in a bee already and found some super nice ladies!
 
(The logo was a collaboration with the amazingly talented graphic designer and illustrator Imogen Oh of Oh Hey Friend.)

Meet the bees of the 'Quilty Circle of Bees' (in alphabetical order):

Allison of Campbell Soup Diary
Claudia of Machen und Tun
Melanie of Melanie's Kunstraum
Vicky of Veni Vidi Vicky
Yara of Qvilted
 and me of course :0)

Yes, you counted correctly we are only six members but that is exactly what we wanted.
We have two months time to complete the blocks for the queen bee and we also pause for the months of November and December. We also sew with our own fabrics and only send finished blocks around. Stress free.

Claudia was the first queen bee for the months September/ October and requested paper pieced feather blocks. She did sent us some backgroud fabrics (yes, we make exceptions as well) and a lovely post card which I used to fold the paper. Great!


This was the first time I ever done paper piecing. I was happy that I could play with my scraps again. Luckily the background fabrics matched perfectly with any of my scraps.


I have to say that the paper piecing did come with some challenges for me, I don't know how often I ripped out seams of the first block... sewn in 1.5 mm... no fun!

But I really liked how it turned out. The tutorial for the block is by Blossom Heart Quilt.
The second block was better, but again I had to use my seam ripper - a lot.

Then I was all ambitious to do one block without ripping out seams and this time is almost worked perfectly. I had oddly shaped scraps and that made the piecing in diagonal lines of the feather somehow difficult.



All in all I'm happy how they turned out and I hope Claudia will  as well.
As mentioned before we pause for the next two months but it's actually my turn in January/ February.
I am really happy to be involved in this bee and I'm looking forward to some exciting blocks and quilts!

Linking this to Scraptastic Tuesday and Finish up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

15 comments:

  1. Fun!!! I am so glad you connected with Allison (well, and the rest of the gals, too, but she is the only one I am familiar with, and I know she was really longing for some local quilting friends)

    happy sewing ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really looking for some like minded, crazy quilters because sewing all by yourself all the time is no fun. I'm very happy to be involved in our little quilty adventure!

      Delete
  2. Your blocks look beautiful - well done and good luck with your exciting new quilting bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I like the blocks too, I guess my next PP project will be a lot better from the start.

      Delete
  3. Yay for you guys!!! Bees tend to make me a bit dizzy, but I shall watch this one with great interest and enthusiasm!!!! Your feathers are super wonderful!!!!! Of course, you have awesome scraps, too!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks Sarah! I'm so happy to have found these wonderful ladies!

      Delete
  4. Hihi, know that feeling - wonky scraps or angles in paper piecing make my head hurt, too. I had to use the seamripper as well in my first feather -- will leave now to sew the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the blocks are done and turned out nice, I thought I would have to start all over again....

      Delete
  5. Great design. Bees are so much fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having so much fun already! I see that you're now involved in a local MQG, that's great!

      Delete
  6. Great feathers and well done on your paper piecing! I always need to keep my ripper handy when paper piecing. Enjoy your bee and thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good to know that even experienced quilters use the seam ripper, that makes me feel a bit better :0)

      Delete
  7. Hello Daniela, if you are doing another round of the bee next year, I would very happily join. Hailing from Berlin, Puppilalla =)

    ReplyDelete