Thursday 4 June 2015

Cathedral window pin cushion

I have always admired something made from cathedral window blocks. It always looked so beautiful but also super complicated. After I have seen this pin cushion and learned how easy it actually is, I thought I should give it a try.

I made a pin cushion for myself  from my scraps following this tutorial which is free, you should try it out!


I have always wanted a pin cushion and that was just a perfect way to try the cathedral window block.
Turns out it isn't complicated at all, just following some simple steps and there's a lot of ironing involved.


It took me a long time to find a nice button, but I'm happy with the red one with the carvings on it.

So, next thing to try is a pillow made from cathedral windows, I'm not afraid anymore!!

Linking this to Crazy Mom's Finish up Friday!

17 comments:

  1. So pretty! I've been wanting to try this too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Christine, it really is not complicated and actually a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh yay!!! Totally cute! Love your colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, you inspired me in the first place to make one!!

      Delete
  3. Cute as a botton! What did you fill it with? Love your colors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. I filled it with material you also stuff into teddy bears, I think it's called 'Poly-fil Stuffing' in English.

      Delete
  4. I love it! You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I love the combination of aqua and red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's my favourite colour combination at the moment!

      Delete
  6. I have been looking at this block for a while and have been wanting to make one, I will have to give it a try! Yours is beautiful and I do love the red button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, Heide! I was very picky with the button, I have at least 4 other buttons at home which I didn't use in the end!

      Delete
  7. It's gorgeous! And cathedral windows are so complicated looking, I'll have to remember that tutorial and give it a whirl in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was scared too, but really, it's not that complicated!

      Delete
  8. Such a cute pin cushion. Love the colour combination. Visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your color choices and the button is perfect! That really seemed to be the most difficult part of making it for me :o) Thank you so much for the shout out, I really appreciate it! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! The button is such a focal point, it just has to be right!

      Delete